Is attention deficit disorder causing problems with you and your child? Dr. Parnell Donahue, parenting expert and author of the book, Messengers in Denim, is here to share some research that could help you make good parenting decisions. You'll learn 5 ways to promote ADD/ADHD and 5 ways to handle it.
Dr. Donahue noted that recent research observed the television habits of 2,500 youngsters. It seems the more hours kids watched TV each day, the more likely they were diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. The researchers guessed that the frequent and rapid change of scenes may "permanently alter normal brain development." (From page 189)
Do video games include frequent and rapid changes of scenes? What do you think? Of course, there can be a genetic factor to ADD/ADHD.
Let's find out how to make it worse. I'll expand on 5 ways to increase attention deficit disorder in your child, what behaviors you can expect, and suggestions for helping your child.
How to Promote ADD in Your Youngster:
1. Avoid schedules and routines.
2. Keep home life in a state of chaos.
3. Increase TV and video game time.
4. Include sodas with lots of caffeine
5. Provide fatty junk foods and sugary treats.
If you do the above, don't be surprised at the increase in your child's problems. Below are behaviors you can expect.
1. Your child will have listening problems.
2. He won't obey because he can't pay attention.
3. He will be disorganized and fail to finish projects.
4. He will leave his messes for you to clean up.
5. He will impulsively interrupt, take risks, and tear around the house, school, or playground.
These behaviors may increase your frustration, exhaustion, and yelling. Life at your house could be quite difficult.
5 Ways to Handle ADD:
As the parent, you have the power to ~
1. Provide an organized household.
2. Decrease TV and video game time to a minimum.
3. Increase your child's physical activity.
4. Create charts with stars for specific good behaviors. Keep it positive.
5. Use relaxation tapes at bedtime and make sure your child gets plenty of rest.
If your life travels at the speed of light, slow it down. Eliminate the harmful lists above and promote the helpful suggestions. If all else fails, begin to consider meds.
Dr. Donahue, in his book, will give you more information on drugs, the side effects, and the $2.2 billion spent on ADD and ADHD medications in 2009 alone.
He realizes that television and other screen media aren't going away. The best we can do is control them in our own homes. We're the parents. We have the power.
Pick up a copy of Messengers in Denim and follow Dr. Donahue's wise advice.
Available on Amazon.com
Let's give Dr. Donahue and HAND for his tireless work in helping parents.
Please support today's author and share your opinions about this blog post. Just click on the COMMENTS link below. It will open up for you. We want to hear from you.
Sign up for my FREE Parenting Newsletter and receive:
- 80 Fun Activities to Share with Your Kids
- 101 Ways to Get Your Children to Cooperate
****** If you liked this article, please write a comment and send it to your social media sites below.Click on the icons or Share This right next to the Green Triangle below to open up your social media sites and send. Thank you so much.